Monday, July 4, 2011

discourses on art



N. Osacnab

Salmo ag Berso, gala opening,

July 2, 2011 @ Cafe des Artes,

Villa Esperanza, San Nicolas, Baao, C.S.


Allow me to start my short discourse on art by sharing to you my simple beginning as an artist. In 1997, through the help of our Art Moderator, Mr. Esting Jacob, I, together with my classmates was introduced to the World of Art. He opened our minds and hearts to the idea of becoming artists by allowing us to see and touch by ourselves real paints and canvases. Through his encouraging words and demonstrations, I was able to build the confidence to work on something even if others can do more than me.

I do still remember my first oil painting... it was an abstract portrait of a man with a distorted face, it was painted on a 12x12” piece of lawanit which was unevenly cut and not properly cleaned up. It was negatively accepted by the viewers during the exhibit, it was mocked because it seemed to be a waste of paint and time for them. After the exhibit, I’ve brought that painting home and then mounted it on one corner, unnoticed by some; and even if it was seen by my family, it was not favourably accepted. But more sad it is to note, that during the rainy season, it was used by my mother to cover a hole on the roof of our nipa hut. Then, it was totally forgotten when we transferred to our new house. They never knew that that first painting of mine, was my best and allowed me to become what I am now. Some other paintings were bought by our teachers during the exhibit for p100/piece.


Looking back to these experiences of mine, I concluded that I am so lucky. Not because some people bought my works, but because I’ve discovered that there is something in me... That I am an artist in my own way and right. And that i find pleasure doing so. That even if others find my works unfavourable, it gives me something. . . I see myself in my work and I am satisfied. From the very start, nobody asked me to paint what they wanted, all my paintings were done out of my own satisfaction, I chose my subjects and i do things that please me more.

During my early philosophical studies, I’ve learned much about art, its definition, elements, renditions, and even different perspectives coming from philosophers-artists alike... but I think, there is no greater words to share than the words coming from my own undertakings as an artist, myself. So in this short discourse about art, I will not share to you the ideas of philosophers, artists, critics or of someone else... I will be speaking plainly about art coming from my own experience as an artist.


What is Art for OsacnaB?

Art is the union of the mind and heart. It is a kind of coitus within man that allows him to create something new other than himself, ARTWORK. It is therefore not found between two or more people, but rather within the individual himself. It is not an intercourse with someone or somebody, but by the mind and heart within man. The mind includes the idea, opinion, perspective, the skill and the ability, basically the talent to express for others to experience. On the other hand, the heart is the seat of one’s emotion, feeling, and sentiment and even urge that forges a person to do something. When these two elements (mind and heart) within man unite, there will always be a product that will come to life; it may be a painting, a poem, a good speech, a dance, sculpture or song, etc. As long as it is a product of this union. . . It is an artwork. In this case therefore, Art is not solely painting. . . but all the things we do and perform as long as it includes that heart and mind of man. Through this union, we also become creators ourselves.

Basing from this aforesaid definition, Art is inseparable to life. It is not only important, rather, it is the very essence of who we are. We are the ones responsible for whatever we do and perform. We are the ones expressing and manifesting the ideas and feelings within us. In this way, we can say that, all of us are artists in our own individual way. The only difference is how one acknowledges himself as such. Sad to note, that some are being deprived, neglected, unable to discover themselves, or doesn’t want to become one.


As an example, one of the most admired artists this day who is true to herself is Lady Gaga. She is an artist who is not afraid of the mocking words of people, she is neither affected nor discouraged by what people will think of her. . . She was born that way she said. She is a revival of Picasso in painting and a Derrida of philosophy. Unafraid of what people will say, they just expressed and manifested who they are, what they were thinking and then evoke emotion.

Let it be known that the primary purpose of art is the satisfaction or self-fulfilment of the individual person. It is not meant to please others. . . It is not meant to be a commodity to satisfy the crowd. It is in the very first place, ME/YOU. That is why sometimes, artist feels happy when he produced something. . . he even finds it hard to be taken away from him, by all means. . .

Reason? It satisfies us and we see ourselves in it. One’s painting for example is an expression of who the artist is/was. This doesn’t mean on the other hand that we disregard other peoples’ satisfaction. When they see our works, hear our music and poem, they feel something. . .they like, appreciate and even buy our works. This is something good, for they themselves become part of the ARTWORLD we are in. There is a kind of connectedness between the artist, the artwork and the viewer. The secondary purpose of Art is now successfully happening. Because, secondary to self-fulfilment is the fulfilment experienced by people as they see our work. We are allowing also the viewer to become artists themselves because, the feeling they feel unites with their own mind as well, and soon produces something. . .

Consequence of this idea presented above, we will have no FEAR of whatever we are doing for we can say that I am an Artist and my Artwork is me. Finally, IT MAKES US WHO WE ARE. We are all born this way, the only thing we need to do is acknowledge ourselves as such.

What you are seeing right now in this gallery are Artworks coming from that union within me for the past two months. These Salmo ag Berso are products of reflection, prayers, ideas and feelings evoked during my prayer time. These abstractions are not meant to be explained to you, but rather what I wish to happen is for you to experience the same experience I felt before and continuously feeling right now. Let a piece of my work be your prayer, reflection also and allow you to know more, who you are.


No comments:

Post a Comment